Question about 2-sided machining

General MeshCAM Questions

Question about 2-sided machining

Postby Cadshack » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been using MeshCAM for about a month. I'm pretty familiar with the concept of toolpaths and how to set them up properly. My question is related to the axis used for 2-sided machining.

I was looking in the help file for MeshCAM, and it says I can only using the x-axis as the flipping axis for 2-sided machining. In other words, once I have finished cutting the first side, I need to flip my stock along the x-axis. However, I have my machine setup to flip along the y-axis, but, there is no option to change the axis used to flip the material. I guess I could swap the x and y-axis outputs on my controller box, or re-setup my table to allow my stock to flip along the x-axis, but, I really like having the long part of the table (y-axis) as my flipping point. Is there a work around for this that I have not discovered? Is it possible to add a feature to the software that allows me to choose the axis by which I flip my stock?

Any help that y'all could offer would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of modelling experience using Rhino 3D (around 10 years), and I am not afraid to share my knowledge.

Thank you very much,

Joe Druhot
Cadshack

Re: Question about 2-sided machining

Postby Randy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. One thing that you could to is rotate your model 90° around the Z axis after you import it (and define your stock relative to the now-rotated model). Is there another consideration that wouldn't allow you to do that? The axis of flipping (as well as the axis of rotation for multi-sided) is fixed in MC but you can rotate and/or translate your model relative to the MC coordinate system.

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM. Professional engineer on closed course, your mileage may vary. :ugeek:
Randy

Postby Cadshack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Randy,

That's a good suggestion. I was doing that for a little bit before I decided I needed to rebuild the machine, and along the way, swap the x and y-axis. I'm pretty forgetful, so that is not a long term solution for the type of person I am :). I bought the Fireball v90 from Probotics, and I think the machine is pretty awesome. I have used a couple different CNC machines before. One was a large, heavy steel Roland machine that was extremely accurate. I'm learning that this machine could never be that accurate, but, it's much more accurate than it seems like it could be.

The biggest reason I wanted to switch the 2-sided flipping axis was to make use of the fully calibrated, leveled, and evenly-spaced pin holes I drilled into some red oak that I mounted on the aluminum spoil board. After I switched the axis(s), the machine was no longer properly lined up with the holes, so I need to redo that part anyway. Like I said, I'm fairly new to CNC, so I think building the machine a second time will allow me to see and understand things I could not have, previously. Thank you so much for your help!

Joe Druhot
Cadshack

Postby Randy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:37 am

Joe, I've heard and read only good things about the Fireball v90. It seems to be a sweet machine.

I used to have a Techno-Isel gantry machine on which I mounted a Sherline milling head. http://www.prototrains.com/gantry/gantry.html I had it oriented "conventionally" so that the gantry moved towards and away from the bench edge, which I called Y. But there was much opinionating at that time that X should always be the long axis of a machine (or at least accomodate the longest stock dimension) so by that reckoning I was turned 90°. I never did machine anything that didn't fit on the table though. I did try swapping the axes for a little while (without physically rotating the machine) but couldn't quite get my head around the rotated axes. Using a DOS controller program where I did all the jogging with the arrow keys was a large part of that disorientation, I'm sure. ;)

Randy
All opinions in this post are mine alone. I am not a MeshCAM employee, nor do I speak for MeshCAM. I do not have a financial interest in MeshCAM. Professional engineer on closed course, your mileage may vary. :ugeek:
Randy

Return to General